Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It just wouldn't be fair...

Day 3: Monday, August 20th, 2012 OK - I think I am going to have this interview in the bag...I interviewed for a 3rd grade position at Empower Charter School in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. (http://www.explorenetwork.org/empower-charter-school) I felt really confident because school was starting in 3 days. (I even brought along my first day of school survival bag - I thought...maybe they'd let me loose in my new classroom so I could be ready!)

I was freaking out, and insisted we take a cab so that I could arrive on time. Ugh..another 5th floor walk-up, and there is no air conditioning! How can anyone look decent when they're working?! (OK - I'm spoiled...)

What stands out for me here, and makes me know I won't get this job, are the many, many questions about how I get along with "others".  This charter school assigns TWO teachers to each classroom - genius! Until, I find out that a) there are 30 kids per class and b) I will be working with an inexperienced teacher, that while needing lots of mentoring, will be assigned a topic to teach, and we will not be allowed to switch all year.

I mentioned that I had conflicts with other before, but that I think hashing out disagreements was always going to be a possibility when anyone works closely with others.
Prinicpal Whomever: "What would make you frustrated when working with someone?"
Me: "Well, someone who doesn't fulfill their obligations...doesn't do what they say they will."
Principal Whomever: "What if they have less experience? What if they are different from you? What if they just make a mistake? Get overwhlemed?"
Me: Well...yeah...obviously I will be very understanding...I've had interns, and worked with many team members, and things come up...I mean, when you work with someone who cannot do what they say they will, week after week..."
Principal Whomever: "Your co-teacher will not be an intern!!" (SQUAWK!)
Me: Yes, but you mentioned, I might be with a less experienced teacher, and I would be very supportive and giving, unless, they just don't try their best...
Principal Whomever: ...and how would you get along with this person if they were less experienced than you...

Then, I tried to show her my portfolio of walk-throughs, student work, lesson planning, recommendations, and she put her hand up and said "If I wanted to see that, I would have asked you to bring it. It would be totally unfair to look at your portfolio if the next candidate we interview doesn't have one..."

WHAT!? I don't get this - we can't, and shouldn't, treat kids like they're all the same, but I can't just share a few highlights from my 6 year career? (I know - 6 years isn't much...but...) This just wasn't gelling...so we ride the subway home, and I feel bummed.

30 Rock Moment: The subway is delayed, possibly by 'something' obstructing the tracks on the 2-3 line...

Frank Rossitano: Wow. I never would have had the guts to do what that dude did.
Liz Lemon: You don't know that.
Frank Rossitano: I do know. I've watched seven different people die in subway stations.


The bright part of my day was getting to feed this stray behind our building...she's sweet...our courtyard and the backyard of the buildings behind us really are lovely. When you think Harlem, do you think it looks like this? This is a great neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Come back again soon!!